Permits, Licenses & Certificates
Birth and Death Certificates

The West Windsor Town Office has birth, death and marriage records from 1849. Earlier records may be found at the Windsor Town Office.  The records are open to the public.

For more information, or to obtain a copy of a birth, marriage or death certificate, call the Town Clerk at 484-7212.

Burglar Alarm Registration form

West Windsor's Burglar Alarm Ordinance requires property owners with burglar alarms to register their alarms with the Windsor Police Department.

For a fillable Burglar Alarm Registration form, click here.

Burn Permits

Permits MUST be obtained to have an open fire in Vermont. An open fire, no matter how small, should never be left unattended.
Burn permits may be obtained by contacting Fire Chief Erik Boedtker at or Fire Warden Michael Spackman at 802-484-9142.
Please plan ahead, as permit requests may take up to 24 hours to approve.
Dog Licenses

All dogs residing in West Windsor must be licensed with the Town Clerk by April 1st of every year per Vermont law, for a nominal fee. A late fee will be charged for any dogs not registered by the April 1st deadline.

In order to license your dog you must present a copy of a valid rabies certificate (unless one is already on file).

Dump Permits and Punch Cards

West Windsor has an arrangement with Weathersfield to provide town residents with access to the Weathersfield Transfer Station.  You need to purchase a Transfer Station Permit (dump sticker) from the West Windsor Town Clerk and display it on your windshield.

Punch cards are necessary for trash. Recycling is free. Punch cards may be purchased at the Town Office or Downer’s Corner Store in Perkinsville.

Dump stickers cost $75 and are good for one year (July 1 – June 30). Punch cards cost $42.50 for ten punches, $21.25 for five punches.

Event Permits

Permits are required for gatherings of 100 or more people. Permits are issued by the Selectboard.

Links to required application forms are provided below.  Applications must be submitted at least 30 days prior to the event.  The West Windsor Ordinance Regarding the Conduct of Large Public or Private Events can be found in the "Ordinances & Policies" menu here


Hunting/Fishing Licenses

These licenses may be obtained at the Town Clerk's office.
Marriage Licenses

Marriage licenses may be obtained at the Town Clerk's office. There is a fee for a marriage license and for a certified copy of the license after the service. There are no witnesses, waiting periods or blood tests required.

If you live in Vermont, you will need to obtain your license in the Town where one of the parties lives.  You may be married in any Vermont Town. If you are from out-of-state, you may obtain your license and be married in any Vermont Town.

There is a one-page application you will need to complete in order to obtain your civil marriage license. You do not necessarily need to complete the form in advance. You may obtain the application from the Town Clerk’s office.

For more information, visit the Vermont Secretary of State’s web site .

State Water/Wastewater/Act 250 Permits

Contact the State Permit Specialist at 802-279-4747 for water/wastewater permits, and to see if any other state permits (Act 250, stream alteration, etc.) are required for your project.
Zoning/Building Permits

West Windsor requires a zoning permit for all land development, which is defined as “the division of a parcel into two or more parcels, the construction, reconstruction, conversion, structural alteration, relocation, or enlargement of any building or other structure, or any mining, excavation, site preparation, or landfill, and any change in the use of any building or other structure, or land, or extension of use of land.” Zoning permits are issued by the Zoning Administrator. In certain situations (e.g. for a subdivision, variance, or conditional use, or for development in a floodplain) approval by the Development Review Board (DRB) is required before a zoning permit can be issued.  The DRB also hears appeals from decisions of the Zoning Administrator. Please refer to the "Zoning & Planning" section for more information.  For specific zoning questions, please contact Deb Shearer at 802-484-3520.

Make checks for zoning fees payable to Town of West Windsor. Applications and fees may be dropped off at the Town Hall or mailed to: Town of West Windsor, P.O. Box 6, Brownsville, VT

West Windsor requires a Certificate of Occupancy before any new construction can be used or occupied.

Return to Top